Saturday, November 19, 2016

Don't start nothin', won't be nothin'

Today I woke up and thought about a race I had seen online. It was the standard 5k only this one said it would be a challenging race with hills ...

As I sat in my comfy chair and sipped my coffee on this lazy Saturday, I tried to think of a reason not to go...I had none, but there were lots of reasons to go. It was for a good cause - the proceeds went to adopt-a-pet, it wasn't too early in the day - didn't start till 9:30, it didn't cost a lot for the race - even for those late to register like me, and finally, I thought about those "putting on" the race - I've done a few races and I always worry, what if no one comes!

So, I struggled out of my chair and put on my running shoes and headed out the door.
Of course, this made no sense. I haven't trained in forever and I have another race scheduled for tomorrow and I really don't like even semi-cold weather and...well, that's about all I had. 

Then, I had this thought - "Don't start nothin', won't be nothin'." It sort of rang over and over in my head...the only way to do anything is to start.

There will never be a perfect time, or perfect weather, or perfect whatever - and that's not just when it comes to running. There will be days when the run feels effortless and then days when I wonder why I ever put on a pair of running shoes. Again, this isn't just for running. But no matter what the day, if I don't start, then nothing can follow.

I wonder how many of us put off things until the "perfect" time. How many dreams are still sitting on the shelf because someone is still waiting on the perfect time? Books left unwritten, businesses not started, missions left unfulfilled, friendships not developed, schooling put off...all waiting for the perfect time. 

So, today as I recuperate from the race (which was a lot of fun, by the way) I will be mulling over this little phrase - "Don't start nothin', won't be nothin'."

What is it that you've been putting off until the perfect time? Maybe the time to start is now.

Romans 14:8 (ASV) For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; or whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

Psalm 118:24-25 (MSG)
This is the very day God acted—
    let’s celebrate and be festive!
Salvation now, God. Salvation now!
    Oh yes, God—a free and full life!


Special thanks to everyone who put on the race today! You weren't kidding when you said there would be hills!!! Still, it was a really great race and loved the day even if my husband said no to me adopting that cute little black and white puppy that Southern Pines Animal Shelter had there today. (And I won first place in my age group - so glad I started!)
Fast and Furious 5k

No comments: