Wednesday, July 18, 2018

I could never be...

My son and daughter are in college and at the point of deciding what they want to do with the rest of their lives. My daughter is looking for her passion, and my son is looking for a career that makes MONEY! The rest of their lives lies before them, and they are looking at all the paths, trying to figure out which road to travel.

I remember those days. I also remember saying that the one thing I could never be was a teacher. Pretty sure those were my words when I was deciding on a career. Actually, it was more like "I will NEVER be a teacher!" Famous last words. Now, I am not only a teacher, but I love what I do!

When I was younger, I was certain I was called to preach, despite the fact that in my denomination women weren't allowed to preach. I figured it meant I'd become a missionary or something. But teaching - that was something I was certain I would not do. By college, I'd fallen into picking a career I thought would use my talents and provide an income - advertising. (Honestly, I do still use what I learned in advertising. I am constantly convincing my students they want something they have no interest in - education.)

The idea that I am trying to get at is that at some point I quit looking for what I thought I'd do and started looking at what God had planned. Slowly I started to trust that God would open the right doors for me to walk through, I just needed to listen as I walked along. I also learned that what I dreamed of doing as a child and what I am now doing weren't all that different.

I am kind of a missionary. My mission field is in middle schools, one of the most frightening mission fields on earth! Of course, I'm kidding, but still, it is a mission field. While I don't "preach" per say, I do have a group that I guide and mentor each year as they navigate the treacherous path of puberty. All this and I still get to enjoy all the comforts of home! 

Maybe we need to stop looking at our jobs by what the world says they are and started looking at them for what God intends for them to be. 

I recently heard a comedian joke with a man who managed a university copy center. He asked him if he'd dreamed of doing this when he was a kid. Of course, no one dreams of growing up to work at a copy place, but then he asked the man what he liked about his job. The man responded that he loved working with the kids. See - there it is. It's not the job, it's what God has us doing while we are there.

What has God called you to? Maybe you'll be a doctor, or lawyer, or Indian chief...or a teacher, or a copy center manager. No matter what the world says you are, ask God what He says you are. You might just be surprised to find it's what you've always dreamed you'd be.

Jeremiah 29:11 (MSG)
I know what I’m doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.

No comments: