Sunday, December 16, 2018

Guilty...

The other night I was coming home from chaperoning a middle school dance and I had one thing on my mind - finally relaxing for the day. I had left home that morning before 7 a.m. and was returning about 10 pm. It had been a LONG day...because of that, I was driving a little faster than I realized. 

Yep - you guessed it. I passed a police car, looked down and saw I was over the limit and then looked up to see blue lights. I pulled over. I was guilty and I knew it. I waited for my just punishment and hoped it wouldn't be a huge ticket.

The police officer came to my window (from behind - for the first time I realized he had no idea that I was me...I could have been someone angry or even someone with a weapon!) I said hello and immediately said I am so sorry. I just didn't realize I was going so fast. I sat there in my ugly Christmas sweater and said something about chaperoning a jr. high dance - I think I was trying to explain my ugly sweater. I'm obviously not used to being stopped.

The officer asked my name, told me to slow down and be careful. I said "Yes, sir!" and thanked him profusely and told him to be safe as well. He then said "Merry Christmas."
Why share this with the world? Because at that moment I was completely overwhelmed with thankfulness for my Lord. I had a perfect example of being guilty and being forgiven. All I could think about was how I deserved punishment and instead, I received mercy. 

To the police officer, whoever you are, I am praying for you daily. You were a picture of Christmas to me the other night, not because you told me to be safe and have a Merry Christmas, but because you were a reminder of what Jesus did for me that very first Christmas when He brought mercy into this world. I pray that you will be safe because, like Christ, you face danger for me so that I don't have to. I pray you feel God's love and peace and goodness just as you showed it to me.

And for what it's worth, I am slowing down.

*(I just realized that I had made this picture at the dance...maybe I should have paid attention! LOL!)


Luke 23:41 New International Version (NIV)

41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”

John 1:29 New King James Version (NKJV)

29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!

No comments: