Tuesday, June 16, 2020

mean people...

I would have titled this "mean girls," but that might have been some sort of copyright infringement, so...

I'm not sure why this story came to mind this morning, but it seems to be calling out to be written, so here goes.

This true story happened when I was five years old and honestly not much different than I am now. Loud, excited, and in love with the world. I could do anything! Everyone I met was a potential new friend. And on that day, I was starting something new and exciting - dance class! I - well - my mom, had shoved my pudgy legs into tights and put on tap shoes for my next big adventure! What little girl doesn't get excited about dance! (Keep in mind, this was so long ago, I probably thought I'd be the next Shirley Temple - another little girl who was in love with life and saw everyone as a potential friend.)

I don't remember a lot of things nowadays, but this moment in time is pretty well etched in my mind. I stood in line with all the other little girls and waited for class to begin. The teacher stepped out of the room with all the other adults for some reason. Back then, we were often left alone while adults did "adult things" and were trusted to not destroy the world or each other.

I knew no one - not a good situation for a kid who likes to talk, especially to someone else. So, I did what any little kid would do. I tapped the shoulder of the girl standing beside me so I could say "Hi!" and begin my newest friendship. After all, everyone loved me!

That's when it happened. This mountain of a girl, (at least I remember her as being HUGE) turned around and said, "Watch who you're shoving!" and pushed me HARD! Maybe it was because I was wearing tap shoes or maybe I was just totally uncoordinated, I don't know, but for some reason her shove caused me to fall face forward. It all happened so fast, my hands didn't have a chance to break my fall, but no worries - I stopped my downward momentum with my face. That's right - my little five-year-old face hit that tile floor full force.

I had no idea what had just happened. I'm pretty sure I realized I didn't have a new friend, but I also thought I had done something wrong. This was NOT the reaction I expected. I pulled myself up to my feet just as the teacher came back into the room telling us to get back in line and stand up straight...so I did. I shoved down the tears and closed my mouth and stood up straight. 

I think that's when she looked at me and saw something wasn't quite right. Maybe it was the tears that threatened to overwhelm my eyes, or because for the first time in my life my mouth was closed, or maybe it was the trickle of blood that was escaping my lips, but for whatever reason, she came over and asked what was wrong. 

I don't really remember what happened after that. I know my mother came and picked me up and took me immediately to a dentist because my two front teeth had been broken off at the gum line and would have to be pulled. Not how I'd imagined my first day of becoming the next Shirley Temple would go.

So, why did this story come to mind today? Maybe it was because I'm reading about the life of David and Saul's behavior toward one who had done him no wrong made me think of it. Maybe it's because of all that is going on in the world. For whatever reason, today I'm thinking of that little girl who stood next to me in line that day. Maybe she was a nice kid just having a bad day, but in my memory, she was just MEAN.  Sort of like David encountering Saul. 

I don't know why some people are mean, but evidently, it's been going on for centuries. It doesn't have to do with the color of their skin or their political persuasions or whether they are rich or poor from what I can tell.

My husband once said people in pain are mean because they just plain hurt. Maybe that's the best explanation.

Yesterday, I gathered with a few others and with pastors of every color and denomination on the steps of our county courthouse. Just days before, those steps had been covered with protestors, but today there was only a handful of us. I guess protesting is more popular than prayer. We stood together and prayed for our city, our state, and our nation. We prayed for justice and peace. I guess in a way, we prayed for the "mean people," too. 

In all of this mishmash of thoughts the lyrics from this song came to mind. "God, You take what the enemy meant for evil and You use it for good. I'm gonna see a victory, for the battle belongs to the Lord." "I'm gonna see a victory" song 

That little five-year-old me learned a hard lesson that day. Not everyone is nice...some are downright mean. But I know this - that which the enemy meant for evil, God turns it for good. And if I "tap you on the shoulder," please don't take a swing at me. I just want to be your friend.

Genesis 50:20 New International Version (NIV)

20 You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.
Photo by Andre Hunter on Unsplash

No comments: