Sunday, December 20, 2009

Uncomfortable


I had just settled down on the couch wrapped up in my blanket with my hot chocolate when one of the kids yelled, "Mom, come see this!" The last thing I wanted to do was get up...I had just gotten comfortable! Of course, I could stay right where I was...and possibly miss one of those "memorable moments" that make life so sweet, or I could put down my hot chocolate, push off the covers and go see. Yep, I got up from my "comfort" to go and see.


I'm convinced that life is filled with those times that make us uncomfortable. Sometimes it's the "shoes too tight and don't fit" kind of uncomfortable. In those times of my life, I have discovered that I may have fallen into a rut and it's time to move forward...letting my "shoes get too tight" catches my attention and I realize that which I once did is no longer a fit.

At times, it's that my "pants are too tight" kind of uncomfortable that catches my attention. Perhaps I've gotten slack in doing what I know is right, filled myself with too much spiritual junk food and neglected the pure meat and milk of the Word. I haven't exercised my faith and then I realize I've gotten spiritually fat and lazy.

There is the uncomfortable that you feel when you realize you are in the wrong place. Imagine walking into a classroom the first day of school and after a few minutes, you discover you are in the wrong room. You want to sneak out, but there is no way. It's obvious you've made a mistake...the key is remembering that everyone makes mistakes like this sometimes. Admit it and go on.

This latest uncomfortable, however, hit me by surprise. It wasn't the painful sort of uncomfortable...it was more like the "I'm happy doing what I'm doing sitting here on the couch" uncomfortable. I was presented with an option to reach out beyond my four walls in a way I hadn't before. I have to be honest and say, I didn't want to. I'm happy with my little crew and sometimes I feel like I'm just keeping my head above water with them! I felt like we'd hit a moment of rest when I could curl up on the couch and do nothing for a little while. That's when I heard that voice inside that said, "Come see this..." It was the unmistakable call of God to step out of my comfortable and believe Him for something more. This wasn't an opportunity I'd looked for, not even one I'd have ever imagined. As a matter of fact, this opportunity looked for all the world like a battle! Definitely not what I'd hoped for.

I'd love to make believe my first reaction was "Hooray!", but in truth it was more of a "Not now" complete with whine. Still, I know that voice and I know that when I hear it, there is something I don't want to miss. I can choose to stay on the couch and be comfortable, or I can put down my hot chocolate, throw off the covers and "come see." I push myself, somewhat unwillingly, off the couch and start walking.

To be honest, right now I'm still in the wish I was still on the couch stage of this uncomfortable, but I know that I really don't want to miss what He has to show me. I don't want to get to the place where He no longer calls me to "come see." I know there is a moment ahead that I don't want to miss.

How about it? Anyone besides me been uncomfortable lately? Makes you wonder what God is up to, doesn't it. I, for one, can't wait to "see."

Isaiah 40:3 - 5(NASB)  "A voice is calling, clear the way for the LORD in the wilderness; make smooth in the desert a highway for our God. Let every valley be lifted up, and every mountain and hill be made low; and let the rough ground become a plain, and the rugged terrain a broad valley; then the glory of the LORD will be revealed, and all flesh will see it together; for the mouth of the LORD has spoken."

No comments: