Saturday, May 22, 2010

Don't go losing your head....

We've reached the point in our look at the armor of God when we discuss the helmet of salvation. Seems like a pretty easy piece of the armor to figure out, but of course, like most projects I volunteer for, there is more to this than I realized!

Even in our modern age, we understand the importance of helmets. Football players wear them, bike riders are SUPPOSED to wear them, baseball players wear them, our soldiers of course wear them! We understand how important it is to protect our head! In Roman times, the helmet was even more important! The helmet of a Roman soldier was very ornate and helped the soldier stand out in a crowd. The plume on top would make anyone notice them, if the intricate carvings hadn't already caught their eye. But this helmet was meant for much more than mere decoration. It was made to literally help these soldiers keep from losing their heads! Even a glancing blow from the enemy's sword could mortally wound them.

We, too, are in a battle...not one with another country or another group of people or even with one person. But just as real at the battle is in war-torn countries, there is a battle going on all around us. In this battle, it's important to remember who our enemy is. We're not fighting against flesh and blood, but against powers and principalities...and make no mistake, this battle is real. Whether I asked to be in a battle or not, it's happening!

Now, contrary to what many might think, I am not one to go looking for a fight. I pretty much look for ways to AVOID confrontation and instead try to get along with most everyone. There are times, however, when it becomes necessary to fight; there are things worth fighting for. I am willing to fight for my family. My precious children, who are now both bigger than me, are worth going into battle for! I may take hit after hit and still smile, but if you mess with my babies you'll see a much different creature emerge! Mama bears would probably look tame compared to me then!

While I am in this battle, I cannot afford the luxury of going with my feelings. It's easy to lose your head when you are in a fight and go strictly on what you feel, but the Bible says that "the heart is deceitful above all things..." (Jeremiah 17:9) I can't always go with my feelings. Let's be honest, my feelings can change so quickly it would make the roller coasters at Disney look like kiddy rides! I may be up one moment and then down the next. Nope, can't really rely only on what I FEEL. I've got to operate on what I KNOW to be true. Some would say that Christians are blindly following some superstition....nothing could be further from the truth! As a Christian, I try to make sure I don't "check my brains at the door." (reference to Josh McDowell's book by this name.) I want to make sure every part of me in engaged in this battle!

I will admit, I've never been a soldier. I have, however, had a little martial arts training, and one thing I learned is that in the heat of battle, you forget what you sort of know and tend to revert back to REACTION. I may practice the moves and THINK I have them down pat, but when I'm in the pressure of an attack, it's very easy to forget which way to move, hit, kick, punch or pull. I haven't taken what I KNOW and really made it a part of me yet. I need to keep my head and remember what I know to be true. I know there are certain things I can do to make the enemy take his hands off me. There are things I can do that will disarm my enemy and bring him to his knees. There are things I can do that will completely disable him....but only if I keep my head and do that which I know is true. It's not always easy. It takes practice, but as one of my instructors told me once, "What if that was your child they had in their arms and they were running away with her? Could you fight? Would you know what to do? Would you have the strength and endurance to go after them and fight no matter what?"

We are in a battle whether we like it or not. One of the first thing our enemy would like to get us to do is to take off our helmets, for our headship always means authority. Our enemy wants us to go into battle unprotected, and under our own power. It might begin as it did in the Garden of Eden with a doubt..."Did God really say?" It might begin with false evidence appearing real, F.E.A.R. No matter what it is, don't take off your helmet. It will help you "keep your head when all about you are losing theirs...."(Rudyard Kipling) There is one thing you can rely on to be true above everything else....the Word of God - in that we will find our salvation. It's more than just some feeling; it is what we know to be true. We know that..."God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

It's time to put on our helmets. After all, you don't want to lose your head.....cause we've got something worth fighting for.

The Armor of God



Ephesians 6:10 - 19 "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel,"

No comments: