Saturday, June 26, 2010

It all started with a bad hair day...

It all started as just another bad hair day. You know the kind, where no matter what you try to do with your hair you hate it. I stood there wishing I looked different and thinking what I wished my hair looked like....If I could choose, I think I'd have Jennifer Aniston's hair....and maybe her eyes. Kind of wish I had her smile, and of course I would love to have her figure. It would be great to have her talent and personality....yep, if I were in charge of making me, I think I'd make me like her.

But instead, I'm me. Kind of ordinary. I guess you could say I'm more of a Kermit sort of person.

As I thought about this, the song "It's Not Easy Being Green" kept running through my mind. You know the one...
"It's not that easy being green

Having to spend each day the color of the leaves
When I think it could be nicer being red, or yellow or gold
Or something much more colorful like that

It's not easy being green
It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things
And people tend to pass you over 'cause you're
Not standing out like flashy sparkles in the water
Or stars in the sky..."

I've never really thought about what those lyrics said before, but I think everyone feels that way at times...like they blend into the background. Our culture celebrates the "beautiful people" in so many ways. Television, movies, magazines, even things like facebook make it seem as if everyone is experiencing a world that is far more beautiful and exciting than our own. Maybe I'm the only one, but sometimes I feel like my life falls more into the Kermit catagory, sort of ordinary. Yet we are so much more than that.

"But green's the color of Spring

And green can be cool and friendly-like
And green can be big like an ocean, or important
Like a mountain, or tall like a tree


When green is all there is to be
It could make you wonder why, but why wonder why
Wonder, I am green and it'll do fine, it's beautiful
And I think it's what I want to be"

We all have days when we wish we were smarter, prettier, wittier, or more exciting....but even on those days we can rest assured that we are perfect just the way we are. Our gifts, abilities, and even our limitations are a part of who we are. God created each of us special for such a time as this. It's not even a mistake that you were born when you were born! He made you with gifts that are perfect for today. What a gift to know that you are equipped for whatever may come your way - simply because He chose this time for you...and you for this time.

So even on your bad hair days, rest assured - you are beautiful in His eyes. You are gifted and special and no one else can do what He created you to do.

That just leaves me with one burning question. On her bad hair days, I wonder who Jennifer Aniston wants to be?

Psalm 139: 1 - 16

" O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.  You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.  You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.  Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD.  You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.  Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.  Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?  If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.  If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.  If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,"  even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.  For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,  your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."



No comments: