Sunday, July 24, 2011

I have a big but...

Photo by Seth Doyle on Unsplash

I have a confession to make. I have a big fat but. No, I'm not referring to my rear-end; although it does present problems at times. That part of my anatomy actually follows more in the direction of my father's family - not really large but having a tendency to get wider unless submitted to consistent exercise. Once my son even told me, "Mom, it's not that you have a big butt...it just gets a little wide sometimes." Gee, thanks.


No, I'm referring to my "but" - the thing that keeps me from saying yes to whatever God puts in my path.

Oh, I can pretend that I am submissive to His will, but if I listen to my conversation I find that I really do have a big but and it is getting in the way! I'd love to go on the next mission trip, but......, I'd volunteer to help with that outreach, but......., I'd support this area of ministry, but....., even - "I'd do more with my kids, but.....

See what I mean? I have a problem with a big fat but that keeps butting into my serving God!

The question is, do I really believe that I am bought with a price? Do I really believe that Christ is not only my Savior, but my Lord - my Master? If so, I have got to get to a place where I realize that I am not my own, and if I believe this then when He puts something in my path my only real option is to say yes.

Oh, I completely understand the problems of not having the money or resources; but if He's called me to it then He can make a way - even if I have no idea how He'll do it. As I heard someone say today, God creates the opportunities, it's up to us to step out and accept those opportunities. The question is, am I willing to let God use me? Am I willing to trust Him?

Make no mistake; living life like this will NOT be easy. But God isn't interested in me having a life of ease. He's interested in developing the Kingdom of God in me. He's interested in seeing me become what He created me to be. So what if I have to experience a little discomfort in the process. As I'm discovering in my exercise, sometimes it takes a little sweat and pain to get rid of a big (or wide or flabby) but that tends to get in my way.

How about it? Anyone else out there dealing with a big but? Maybe it's time to deal with it and trust God. I have to wonder what will happen when we all start to say yes and kick our big fat "buts" to the curb.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (NIV) "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies."

Isaiah 43:19 "See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland."

2 comments:

rhiggasond6 said...

As always you have a way of making me think about my life in a new way. Thanks again for your obedience and transparency in your writing!

Unknown said...

Donna, I love your thought processes (big but!!). I spend more time explaining to God why I can't do what He's told me to - justifying my disobedience by saying ... "but" than I do seeking His will. Too often I forget that I am not my own, that I am not the one in control, and I make my life much harder than God intended it should be. Thanks for sharing your insights and for doing it so humorously!