Saturday, September 3, 2011

Bring on the rain....

It's been a long, hot, dry summer and thanks to a Tropical Storm we are finally getting some much needed rain here in the South. While it is a storm that many are watching, especially those in New Orleans, it is also a storm that has brought some relief from the oppressive heat we've had for the past two months. You can almost hear my poor brown grass gulping up the water as fast as it comes down.

Still, that's not the point of this blog....it's a comment a friend made that caught my ear. She awoke to water coming into her home through a small leak in her roof. Hopefully it will be minor, but it's the fact that she now knows she has a leak that caught my attention.

I could almost feel that hand of God stopping me..."wait, did you hear that? The leak wasn't revealed until it rained."

Now I have always associated rain with blessings from God. Dry times are miserable and barren. Rain brings growth and good things. So what's with the rain and the leak? Well, the rain simply revealed a problem that was already there.

I got to thinking about times this may have happened in the Bible. I found this in the Old Testament:

Deuteronomy 6:10-12

The Message (MSG)

 10-12 When God, your God, ushers you into the land he promised through your ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob to give you, you're going to walk into large, bustling cities you didn't build, well-furnished houses you didn't buy, come upon wells you didn't dig, vineyards and olive orchards you didn't plant. When you take it all in and settle down, pleased and content, make sure you don't forget how you got there—God brought you out of slavery in Egypt.
(I added the emphasis on this myself.)


Okay, so what is the leak? I could almost hear the Lord's voice. "Pride." That little leak is the evidence of pride - thinking that you have things under control...you can do this yourself. Okay, I'm not liking the direction my talk with God is going. I have a feeling it's about to get personal.


Then it hit me. A couple of days ago I read a friend's blog where she mentioned that she was going to attempt to write a blog a day in September. She was working on getting back into the discipline of blogging. I read that and thought to myself, "What a great idea! I think I'll do that!" Today as I thought about that "leak" I could almost hear the Lord asking me about that decision. It was not something I felt the Lord tell me to do, but in my pride I figured this was something I would do. I saw a squirrel (see yesterday's blog) and started chasing it. There is no nice way to describe what I did - it was a leak of Pride thinking I could do this my way. See, I told you it got personal! OUCH!


Now what? I don't know...except to work on that leak. Don't expect to see a blog a day in September - unless God gives me something specific to write. The rain reveals leaks, but it also reveals His love for me. You gotta love the rain.



No comments: