Saturday, April 14, 2012

Fighting with a friend.

You know, some days you just feel like you need to hit something. To be honest, I didn't wake up thinking I wanted to hit something; in fact, I've been traveling under a little black rain cloud emotionally the past few days. Fighting back was the last thing on my mind. I really wanted to curl up under my covers and hide from the world for a while.


Still, today called for some good old fashioned fighting. Some of my most favorite people came down from Memphis to lead us in a Krav self-defense class and I was signed up for the entire day! I downed a few cups of coffee and made up my mind to have fun. Yes, I actually have fun in these classes.


When I arrived, I discovered that Sam, my favorite instructor, was already there and a "new friend", Jason, was there as well. I find that the guys that come down and lead these classes quickly become some of my favorite people; I think it's because they push me to my limits and teach me to find my inner warrior. 


That's what got me to thinking. Over the years, I've had the privilege to "fight" with a lot of friends through Krav, and the bond that is created is something I truly treasure. We come from all walks of life, and we're as different as night and day...but after a few hours of sparring I feel like I have made a lifetime friend. Why is that?


Is it the intensity with which we train? Is it the shared sweat (and sometimes blood and tears)? Is it the adrenaline rush? I think it's probably all of these and something more.
Something happens when you fight with a friend...I mean the good kind of fight of course. You become a better you.


Proverbs 27:17 - You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another. 


I am very thankful for my friends made of steel - both physical and spiritual. During the past two days, I received encouragement from some of my "spiritual sharpeners" as well. They saw my discouraged facebook posts and sent words of encouragement to help me refocus. They prayed for me, (yes - I could tell you guys were lifting me up!) They "fought" alongside me when I was too tired to fight for myself.


I am so thankful today for my friends that "fight with me." They bring out the warrior in me - even when I am tired and discouraged and don't think I can fight the good fight anymore. I am so glad God placed me in a community of believers...and fighters. I love you guys! Thank you for "having my back."


Ecclesiastes 4: 9 - 12 
Two are better than one,
   because they have a good return for their labor: 

If either of them falls down,
   one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls
   and has no one to help them up.
Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
   But how can one keep warm alone?
Though one may be overpowered,
   two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

No comments: