Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Just sweep....

I don't know how God speaks to others, but it seems I hear Him in the most practical ways sometimes. 


Take today for instance. I had just come from a friend's home that is absolutely beautiful. One of those spotless, beautifully decorated, picture in a magazine kind of homes....and I came home to my blessed mess.


I needed to go mail a letter, so I took the long way to the mailbox mainly so I could take a minute and pray. On the way, I decided to ask God about my home....about my mess. Where do I start God? What do I do to make it better? What can I do to make my home just a little more like the one I just left?


The answer I got was very simple. "Sweep." 


Okay - I got it. Then what, God? The reply was, "Just sweep."


Now, I don't want you to think I don't clean at all. I actually sweep every day - well, almost every day. I was, however, expecting some elaborate plan on how I was going to transform my home to that ideal picture I had just left. But all I was getting was simple instructions to do something I already knew how to do. I was waiting on some grand plan that included new paint on the wall, new couches, new art, new everything. Sweep? That's it?


Since I got no other instructions, I came home and picked up my broom and started to sweep. I took a rag along with me and wiped the baseboards as I went. Little things came into view as I swept, and as I saw them I'd straighten, dust, and rearrange. And I swept.


As I made my way from room to room, I started to think about those simple instructions and it occurred to me that what I'd really been given were instructions for my life.


I am one of those people who gets overwhelmed sometimes when I try to wrap my mind around how God will do things in my life. I know the direction I am supposed to go, but when I try to figure out how to make it happen, I start to hyperventilate! I think my ADHD kicks in, I look at all that needs to happen and then try to do it all at once.


But God has only called me to do one thing...sweep. It's something I already know how to do. It's not really overwhelming or spectacular, but it is what I need to do now. And as I put my hand to that which I know how to do, God will lead me to what comes next. I don't have to redecorate the whole house at once. I just need to do that which is before me that I already know how to do. 


Okay, so maybe this isn't some deep truth to others, but it was what I really needed to hear. I don't have to figure out how to make the plan of God work in my life...all I have to do is put my hand to what is in front of me that I already know how to do. I have to open my eyes and be ready to do what He shows me. At some point, it may include some giant steps (like painting or shopping for a new couch), but for now, baby steps are enough. 


Just sweep.....that which God has placed before me today. Tomorrow will take care of itself. Who knows? I might even get instructions to mop!

Matthew 6:34

The Message (MSG)
"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.



Micah 6:8

New International Version (NIV)




He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.


  And what does the Lord require of you?

To act justly and to love mercy

    and to walk humbly with your God.

No comments: