Sunday, December 9, 2012

Principals I have known...

I've been thinking about principals lately - probably because I'm currently working on a license in administration myself. At any rate, today's blog is about some of the principals I have known. 

Since I've been teaching, I've had the privilege to work under a number of principals, and I've learned a lot from each one.

My first principal was a lot like Andy Griffith...kind and gentle but with a firm handle on what was right. I don't think I ever saw him angry, but my own children remember having to go see him for something they had done wrong. They hated disappointing that man.

There was the principal who gave me my first chance in a public school classroom. Despite the fact I was from an alternate route program, she saw something in me and made me believe I was a good teacher.

From one principal, who stood all of 4'11" tall, I learned how to deal with parents and children alike. The students would hear her high heels clicking down the sidewalk and all sit up at attention. They truly loved and respected her. She had an ability to find the best in people that truly amazed me. Her wisdom was surpassed only by her smile. No matter what, she always seemed to be smiling.

Another principal sticks out in my mind because of the way she stuck her head in our rooms each morning just to say hello. We knew she was there....the kids knew she was there. Trust me, that makes a difference.

There was the principal that went out of her way to help our special education students, or the one who, despite our differences in teaching style, encouraged me to try crazy lesson plans that got the kids involved. 

There is the principal who seems tough, but it soon becomes evident that she has a heart of gold. Having had "imperfect" children herself, she shows compassion for parents and students alike. I really relate with her...(you know who you are, my friend.)

Then there is my current principal. I think what strikes me most about him is that he is willing to confront the tough issues...and the way he loves the kids.

All great principals...all with one common denominator. They freed me up to do my job because I knew they had my back. 

Knowing that someone has your back gives you confidence to do what you are called to do. I don't have to worry about the million and one little things that a principal takes care of like the building, the schedules, the cafeteria, the budget, or the kids that need "a bit more correction" than I can give. They take care of those things so that I can do what I do best - teach. 

Confidence that it's taken care of...doesn't that remind you of what it's like with God.

We often worry about how everything is going to come together when all we need is to do what God has called us to do. We need to relax and trust that He'll take care of all the details. He's got our back and that can give us confidence to do what we know we are to do. 

As long as I am doing what I have been called to do, I can move forward boldly with confidence because God has got my back. I don't have to worry whether the provision will be there for what He's called me to do - He'll take care of that. I don't have to worry about my safety - He'll take care of that. I don't even have to worry about my ability to carry out the plan - He'll take care of that. 

I'm not saying my principals are like God, but sometimes He allows us to see bits of His personality in those around us. I have been blessed with leaders who have shown me a little bit of God's personality. They have helped me simply be what I was called to be because they took care of the rest...and I always knew they had my back.

I belong to God...and He's got my back. If that doesn't give you confidence, I don't know what will. 

Lord, open our eyes and let us see.... 


2 Kings 6:15 - 17
Early in the morning a servant of the Holy Man got up and went out. Surprise! Horses and chariots surrounding the city! The young man exclaimed, “Oh, master! What shall we do?”
He said, “Don’t worry about it—there are more on our side than on their side.”
Then Elisha prayed, “O God, open his eyes and let him see.”
The eyes of the young man were opened and he saw. A wonder! The whole mountainside full of horses and chariots of fire surrounding Elisha!


This all reminded me of an old song by Keith Green. Follow the link to hear it: Keith Green - He'll take care of the rest....




No comments: