Sunday, March 10, 2013

Packing for the journey...

I have spent much of the past two days packing for our trip to Cambodia. One suitcase is totally packed - filled with craft items to share with the workers there. It is a veritable treasure chest for children's workers. 

My suitcase, however, is another story. It is not yet packed, mainly because I'm simply not sure what to expect. I know what the weather will be, but what each day will hold is a complete mystery to me.

Then there's my object lessons. I'm a bit concerned that my checked bags might take some sort of detour and leave me without my "props." Anyone who has ever worked with children knows just how important the props can be! I finally decided to stuff those in my backpack. 

Next, since I'm diabetic, I don't want to trust my food source to chance. That means I've probably WAY over packed in the snack department. Those, too, have to go in my carry on bag. So does my medicine (stupid diabetes), my change of clothes (it's going to be a LONG trip there), and my Bible and study notes. So much for traveling light! 

There is one part of me that travels 'light', however. My heart! I am almost giddy with excitement at what I expect the Lord will do with us in Cambodia. 

I have never been what you would call a "missions minded" person, but somehow that all seems to be changing. We go, not just to share the Good News, but to stand alongside those who work so tirelessly to reach the children. My prayer as we go is that we will take with us laughter, joy, and refreshing. Please pray with/for me and my fellow team members. I realize like never before how much those prayers mean. It truly isn't just the "team" that is going - all who contributed and who pray for us are going as well. We are all working to help hold up the hands of those who serve.

There probably won't be a blog entry until I return since I won't have a computer with me, but I have a feeling I will have lots to share when I get back. For now, I guess I really should get back to packing.

Exodus 17:12

The Message (MSG)
10-13 Joshua did what Moses ordered in order to fight Amalek. And Moses, Aaron, and Hur went to the top of the hill. It turned out that whenever Moses raised his hands, Israel was winning, but whenever he lowered his hands, Amalek was winning. But Moses’ hands got tired. So they got a stone and set it under him. He sat on it and Aaron and Hur held up his hands, one on each side. So his hands remained steady until the sun went down. Joshua defeated Amalek and its army in battle.

No comments: