Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Grammys, doughnuts, and making a choice

I notice there has been a lot of talk lately about the Grammys - specifically about Natalie Grant leaving and her reasons why. Then, this morning I read a blog post by Mandisa as to why she didn't even attend the Grammys this year. Both ladies had, in my opinion, solid reasons for their actions. Neither condemned others - they left or didn't attend because they felt it was the right thing to do for them. Then, this morning I read a devotional (that had been written LONG before any Grammy performance hit the stage) that sort of addressed the same thing - what we spend out times viewing.

All this has me thinking. There are some things in life that are like roads I just don't need to go down. Take for example food. Early on in my journey as a diabetic, I sat in a class where the instructor told us there was no such thing as "good" or "bad" foods. While I completely understood what she was saying, I spoke up and wholeheartedly disagreed! Some foods are nothing but poison to our bodies - and for me at least, highly addictive! All it takes is one step and before I know it I am awash in a sea of sugar and the resulting negative effects! While I may say, "I'll just have a half a doughnut - that's not so bad", I know I am lying. Once that "half" crosses my lips I am like an addict looking for my next fix! I know that is a bit of an exaggeration - but only a little bit!

I convince myself that it's "safe" and a little won't hurt. I am reminded of the student I saw once who was having a high blood sugar episode - the second one I'd seen her have in two weeks. Seems that since her numbers were so good that morning, she'd taken advantage by having pancakes and syrup for breakfast. Seriously? Just because you are doing good you think you can overdose and it won't hurt? You'll just "adjust your meds"? Am I the only one who sees a problem here? Needless to say, she had an extremely high number and was then trying to figure out how to bring her levels back down to earth. I understand....been there myself, and not just with my blood sugar!

Obviously, all this got me to thinking about my "levels" in other areas of my life. It's not just the food I take into my body that affects my life, but also what I take into my mind and my spirit. I try to live my life by the verse that says whatsoever things are honest, pure, lovely, of a good report - think on these things. But it's just so dog-gone easy to come home at the end of a hard day and plop down in front of the TV or computer and veg out. I take that first bite and before I know it, I've spent hours doing nothing but filling my mind and spirit with what could at best be called junk food. At worst, it's poison.

As I write this, I am preaching at no one other than myself. I am admitting that I am so easily led that it is shameful. I take one step and before I know it I've gone down a road I never intended. I don't think I'm the only one. When I was a kid, TV didn't even show Lucy and Ricky in the same bed! (This could explain why I didn't figure out for years where Little Ricky came from!) Now, we get more information in a 30 second commercial than I EVER wanted to know! Progress? I'm not so sure. I do think it's a sign that we started down a road we never intended and found ourselves deep in enemy territory with no clue how to get out. Some have even convinced themselves that they are still walking in the light despite the fact that they can barely see.

I applaud Natalie Grant and Mandisa for recognizing that they were looking down a road they didn't want to be on. They took a step to turn around and not expose themselves to things that they believed would be harmful to their own minds, hearts, and spirits. One of them said something along the lines of not being able to un-see these things. They did not tell others what they should or should not do, but simply recognized that this was wrong for them. Many will be critical, but that's a bit like telling a diabetic they are wrong for not eating a sugar filled doughnut with sprinkles on top! We all have to make choices and recognize what is "poison" to us.

I need to find that strength inside myself. No, I'm not simply talking about walking away from the doughnuts. Honestly, I still do not have even that! If they are in my house, I will eat one...make that three or four. My best bet is to stay away and not go near those delicious devils! I always regret it when I eat them anyway. The sweetness of the moment is always overshadowed by the aftertaste of regret (and that weird taste of yeast and fat!) 

I need to find the strength to recognize and walk away from the things that fill my mind and heart with junk as well. Maybe I could start a group. "Hi! My name is Donna and I am an entertainment-aholic." Or maybe I should stop reaching for the remote and first reach for my Bible.

I've got lots to "chew on" this morning...which is a good thing because since we're experiencing a rare "iced-in" event, I'm stuck at home with LOTS of time on my hands. Yesterday I spent it eating and entertaining myself into a stupor. Today I think I'll turn around and try a different path...one that has more LIGHT! 

Note: This thought hit me after first posting. Maybe instead of feasting on what the world offers, I should reach for some fruit - specifically the fruit of the spirit.

Philippians 4:8 (KJV)

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

1 John 2:15-16 (VOICE)

15 Don’t fall in love with this corrupt world or worship the things it can offer. Those who love its corrupt ways don’t have the Father’s love living within them. 16 All the things the world can offer to you—the allure of pleasure, the passion to have things, and the pompous sense of superiority—do not come from the Father. These are the rotten fruits of this world. 


1 John 1:6-7 (VOICE)

If we say we have an intimate connection with the Father but we continue stumbling around in darkness, then we are lying because we do not live according to truth. If we walk step by step in the light, where the Father is, then we are ultimately connected to each other through the sacrifice of Jesus His Son. His blood purifies us from all our sins.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Amen! Love this:)