Sunday, February 2, 2014

I do it! I do it!

Tonight I made a quick run to the grocery store to get supplies for lunches. I gathered my few items and then as I rounded the corner, I saw a mom with her young son standing at the meat counter. He was so small that he had to stretch to make his pudgy little hands reach the handle of the buggy. Mom was looking at the meat, trying to make a decision. He had other ideas.

"I push, Mommy. I push! I can do it! Move your hand Mommy! I can do it!"

That patient mom just kept browsing the display, keeping her hand on the buggy so it did not move. "I haven't gotten what we need yet, son."

As I turned onto the next aisle, I could still hear that little voice saying, "No, Mommy! I CAN do it! I push!"

And I felt that unmistakeable nudge from God...that kid's a lot like me.

How often have I pushed, wanting to go forward, not recognizing that God hasn't put into my "buggy" the supplies I will need for the journey? I think God is being slow, but He's simply making sure I have what I need before I impulsively push ahead. I want to "do something" and God is saying, "Wait."

I imagined that little boy pushing that cart all the way through the store, up to the cashier, and finding it empty. 

I don't want to do that in my life. I want to make sure to wait till God has filled my "buggy" with what I need for what lies ahead and till I hear God's voice say, "Now you can push..." 

You can learn a lot at the grocery store.

Habakkuk 2:3 ESV

For still the vision awaits its appointed time; it hastens to the end—it will not lie. If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come; it will not delay.

Isaiah 40:31 ESV 

But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.

Psalm 27:14 ESV

Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord

Galatians 6:9 ESV 

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

No comments: