Tuesday, March 11, 2014

No need to know my name....

I used to say, I don't care so much what you call me as long as you call me to supper. Yeah, I know it's an old joke, but I'm kind of old too. Anyway, the subject of names has been on my mind.

Today on my run I got to thinking about a family I know. I've seen them on and off for years at the races, and I'd seen the kids at school, but I didn't really know them. In fact, I didn't even know the parents' first names! I always knew them as D.'s mom and dad or K's mom and dad...and from what I could tell, they were fine with that. I understand. I'm fine with being known as Samantha and Levi's mom. I love being their mom...well - most days anyway.

Lately, however, I've gotten to know this family just a little better and I see another side of them. It's at this point that you expect me to say I'm getting to know them by their name...uh - no. I still have problems remembering names. I have gotten to know them by something else. I've had the chance to see them as one of God's kids! I have had the chance to see them a bit closer and see that not only do they love their kids and do everything in their power to launch them in the right direction and develop their gifts, they do it because they truly love God!

Now, to some that might be a "duh" kind of statement, but we all know those parents who do what they do for THEMSELVES. They want the kids to looks good for THEIR sake. They want them to succeed for THEIR sake. Don't embarrass THEM. That's not them impression I get from these guys. Everything they do is because they love their kids and want what's best for the kids! 

I once heard a speaker, Joe McGee, say we shouldn't discipline our kids when we've "had enough" but that instead we keep all the discipline about them...it's supposed to be whatever will help them grow in the Lord and who they are meant to be. It's really not about us. These parents seem to reflect that precept.

Now that I'm getting to know them better, I can also see that these parents do all that they do because they truly love God! They are GOD'S kids! It's like they live their lives not focused on themselves but instead focus on God and on launching their kids toward what God has called them to be.

I get the feeling these parents are quite fine being known by their kids' names and even MORE fine being known by God's name. They don't care if they ever gain fame or fortune, but that they reflect Christ and His name in all that they do.

I want to live my life that way. When people say, "I've heard of you," I want it to be because I've reflected God's name. I want it to be because my children are living a life that brings honor and glory to Him. I want it to be that we are known not so much for our name, but for Whose we are.

So, there's no need to know my name...doesn't really matter what you call me as long as you call me His. Oh, and don't forget to call me for supper!

John 13:34-35 (MSG)

“Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples—when they see the love you have for each other.”

No comments: