Sunday, September 21, 2014

I know that story!

Today in children's church, we had a really great time. We almost always do! But today I noticed something new...actually, it wasn't something new, I just finally caught what God was showing me.

We were using a familiar story - Moses and God's plan for his life. As often happens when we tell a story the children know, the hands start shooting up to "help" me tell the story. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but as every teacher knows, when the hands shoot up, the mind often shuts down. Kids got so excited to tell what they knew, they stopped listening...and in this case stopped learning simply because they "thought" they knew the story.

In fact, many wanted to tell the story themselves, but it wasn't the story from the Bible, but the one from the movie - a story that wasn't quite the same. I managed to steer them back to our story and finish the lesson, but those hands have been on my mind all afternoon.

Tonight I was listening to a sermon online and I was struck with how the pastor was helping me see things in a familiar story that I had skipped over before. I love how rich God's Word is and how I seem to learn new things from it every time I read. It was then that I got that "nudge" I get sometimes. That little pause that helps me hear.

How many times have I been just like the kids in children's church, thinking I know what the Bible says and not listening to what God is trying to show me? And how many times do I THINK I know the story, only to realize I've heard it wrong. I've listened to someone's version of the story but not stopped long enough to read it for myself?

I admit it. I read my Bible sometimes because I'm "supposed to" read it, but I don't really listen. I'm not much different from my students who wave their hands wildly in the air because they THINK they know what I'm about to ask...but I'm trying to show them something more. God is trying to show ME something more.

So once again, I learned something new in children's church. Isn't it funny how that happens, just when I think I'm there to teach the students, they teach me instead.

Psalm 32:8 (NIV)

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
    I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.

John 14:26 (NIV)

26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

John 16:13 (NIV)

13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.




No comments: