Thursday, August 20, 2015

GPS and me...

By now it will come as a surprise to absolutely no one that I am technologically challenged. What you may not know is that compared to my directional abilities, my technology skills make me look like a computer programmer! I am surprised I don't get lost going from my bedroom to the kitchen each morning.

My husband has learned how to help me with my ability to go places by not only printing out detailed maps but also finding land marks to help me on my way. Still I struggle. Today I asked a fellow teacher how to get to his house so I could bring food for their family. He kept speaking some foreign language with words like "Hwy 11" and "589" and "south". Could he not see by the blank look on my face that I had no clue what he was telling me. I kept saying, "You've got to give me Donna directions!" Donna directions give me landmarks and refer to places I have been before! At one point I think he muttered something like, "My word, woman! How do you find your way to work each day?!"

I finally figured out how to get to his house (although since I haven't actually made the trip yet my success is still debatable!) Of course, all this was on my mind as I drove home. I thought perhaps I should overcome my technology handicap and purchase the one day GPS for my phone that gives me verbal directions. I have actually used this a couple of times before. It only costs 99 cents for the day and gives me the assurance that I can find my way despite my inability to recognize north from south. I could get the package that covers the entire month for only $4.99, but since I rarely go anywhere unfamiliar there was no need for more than one day. That's when it hit me. 

I play it safe....and I think God is nudging me to move outside my comfort zone. 

Don't get me wrong. I have done some travel. I went with a mission team to Lickskillet, Alabama doing some tornado relief a few years back. (My job was primarily hauling limbs from the chicken yard so the family could get the chickens back inside the fence. What can I say? I'm skilled labor.) I have also traveled to Cambodia. Yes, the country. But on both trips I didn't have to do any of the navigation. I simply followed.

There is a lot to be said for following. I'm good at it. I absolutely love the freedom that comes with someone else being in charge! I get to just be me. (Watching the face of those in charge who have to keep up with me is pretty fun, too. I'm not sure my pastor will EVER take me out of the country again!)

But today as I drove along I got the feeling that it's time for me to start venturing out of my comfort zone of knowing where everything is and start venturing out into the unknown. There is not really any fear in this because I can always use my GPS. Only this GPS is God's Positioning System....and He knows exactly where He wants me to go. 

This could get interesting. I'm not really what you'd call an adventurer; I tend to be more of a homebody. But whether physically or spiritually, it's time to move into new territory.  If you see me looking confused along the way, just remind me to listen to my GPS and I will be just fine.

See you on the road.


Psalm 37:23(NKJV)

The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, and He delights in his way.

Psalm 25:12

Who, then, are those who fear the LORD? He will instruct them in the ways they should choose.

Proverbs 16:9

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.



No comments: