Thursday, November 3, 2016

Do you understand the words comin' out of my mouth?


Words - I've never been at a shortage for them, and at times they have gotten me in trouble. I can even talk with my "foot in my mouth," which a skill that not everyone has! Lately, however, I've noticed it's been getting more and more difficult to have conversations with people without stepping on toes. People who were once "friends" are "unfriending" or growling under their breath at those they once were busy "liking" on facebook. Many of my friends have vowed not to say ANYTHING remotely political because of the backlash they get from posting their opinions.

I recently posted on facebook something I first said during the 2012 election. "Think of the those running for President. Ask yourself, "Does my favorite candidate even know my name?" Now think, if something should happen in your life (not on the natural disaster level - just normal 'life' stuff) would the candidate come to your help or those around you? 
I'm thinking, it's not worth alienating those around you to support your candidate. The day after the election - the president, whoever that may be, still won't know your name. Those around you will still be the ones who will come when you are in need.Vote your conscious and leave the results up to God. Reach out to those around you...those from both parties. They are your friends." 

It's crazy that we've found ourselves here once again. 


Then this morning I read a verse that made me start to think about the words that are "coming out of my mouth."

Isaiah 61:1 - "The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners"

I had to stop and think. Are those the kind of words that are coming out of my mouth? Words that proclaim good news to the poor? Words that bind up the brokenhearted? Is there freedom in my words or anything that would release those trapped in darkness? 
I have to be honest; I'm not so sure. 

At times, my words are cutting or sarcastic...sometimes out loud and sometimes just in my head, but they are there. Sometimes my words are self-serving, making me feel smart or superior. Sometimes my efforts to be funny with my words sound insensitive or crass. Sometimes my words are simply idle chatter of no substance at all. 

But I want the Spirit of the Lord on me and I want it to be evident. No short term argument or funny meme is worth losing that. 

I'm afraid that those around me do "understand the words that are coming out of my face" and they aren't necessarily fulfilling Isaiah 61:1...and it's time that I changed that. I want to spend the words I'm given to proclaim good news, not bad. I want the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart to be pleasing to God. (Psalm 19:14) 

No comments: