Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Was it on purpose?


The other day in children's church a little boy came over to me to tell me that another child had "hit" him. As I investigated, I found that a little angelic looking girl had indeed thumped him in the back with a pencil. When I asked her why, she told me it was an accident...she hadn't done it on purpose.....there it was...that random thought.

For two days the phrase "on purpose" has been rolling in my head. Did I do it "on purpose"? Did I live today "on purpose" or did I just let life happen to me?

In the Message translation of John 14:25 - 29, it says this: 25-27"I'm telling you these things while I'm still living with you. The Friend, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send at my request, will make everything plain to you. He will remind you of all the things I have told you. I'm leaving you well and whole. That's my parting gift to you. Peace. I don't leave you the way you're used to being left—feeling abandoned, bereft. So don't be upset. Don't be distraught.
28"You've heard me tell you, 'I'm going away, and I'm coming back.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I'm on my way to the Father because the Father is the goal and purpose of my life.
(emphasis mine)

Did you catch that? Jesus led his entire life "on purpose". Every day was lived with his purpose in mind...to live his life for the Father.

I heard a story once of a man who was asked what his purpose was in life. He replied that his purpose was to go to heaven and take as many people with him as he could. Wow, I wonder what a life lived with that kind of purpose would look like. Others have said that our purpose is to live a life of worship....I am assuming this doesn't mean we walk around singing all the time, (those who have heard my voice will certainly vote against that one!) Or some say our purpose is to serve.....

Whatever you think it means to live a life of purpose, the question still remains....did you do it on purpose? Did you live today with that purpose in mind?

Maybe it's time to stop the busy-ness of daily life and take the time to ask God what is your purpose. For the mom or dad, it may be wrapped up in pointing their children toward Christ. For the teacher, it may be learning to see her students as God sees them...even when they are being difficult. For the bus driver or cashier, it may be seeing their job as a means to helping spread encouragement or joy. Our purpose doesn't have to be some great and mighty ministry to be from God. He created us and He knows how our story fits into His plan. Our job is to just make sure we're doing it "on purpose."

I don't know about you, but I don't want to reach the end of the day...the week...the year...my life and find out I didn't do it on purpose. I want to live every day realizing that the Father is the goal and purpose of my life. I don't want to be an accident waiting to happen....I'm doing it on purpose today.

No comments: