Thursday, November 26, 2009

The story of the running dogs....


This morning I participated in the local Thanksgiving 5 mile run and as always, I had a Random Thought along the way.

While we were out there in the biting cold wind, I noticed one runner had his dogs with him How cool I thought! These were obviously dogs that were meant for speed...I thought at first they were greyhounds, but finally heard someone say they were "whippets". These were two very good natured dogs...with each other and people that is. They didn't like any other dog that came near them. It started early with a beautiful dog that come up to greet them and then continued all through the race. It didn't matter what kind of dog it was...exotic Siberian Huskies, Redneck American Bulldogs, Good 'ole boy labradors....they were ready to argue with them all. That's when the thought struck me. Here were two dogs that were the fastest things on the race course, and they were so busy arguing with other dogs they weren't really running.

The dogs' master really had his hands full trying to keep those dogs on course. They wanted to pick a fight with every dog they met...and there were lots of very friendly dogs on this course. Friendly didn't matter to them...and they let everyone around them know it.

Made me wonder how many times I have given my Master fits by arguing with those around me instead of "running the race"....I might get along with those who are like me, but I'm often too quick to judge those who are different, and in the process I stop running the race that is before me.

So, today at least, I'm going to try and focus on running the race God has given me. If you'd like to run along...you're welcome to join me, but I'm not going to be distracted by our differences. I'm not going to give my Master fits.....I'm just going to focus on the finish and running with Him.

"They came to Capernaum. When he was in the house, he asked them, "What were you arguing about on the road?" But they kept quiet because on the way they had argued about who was the greatest. Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all." Mark 9:33-35

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." Hebrews 12:1-3

No comments: