Wednesday, February 24, 2010

What you talkin' about Willis?

Okay, I'm showing my age again. I've had that phrase, "What you talkin' about Willis" stuck in my head for almost a week! For those who don't recognize it, it's from an old tv show and like many of its era, it had a "catch phrase"...well, it's definitely "caught" in my head!

There is a scripture that says, "Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks." It is from Matthew and Jesus was speaking a group of Pharisees, so you know it wasn't meant as a compliment. There are other references to the connection between what we say and what is in our heart: "The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart." Luke 6:45, "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear." Eph. 4:29, and my FAVORITE - "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer." Ps. 19:14.

You don't have to talk to someone for very long to discover what is on their heart. I know if you give me five minutes, you'll probably hear at least one reference to my children - they are my heart! I love to tell stories about them. But I've been wondering, what other things do people hear come out of my "heart" on a regular basis?
We joke at our house about our son and some of the things he says. Whatever is passing through his mind at the moment comes right on out of his mouth. You never really have to wonder what he's thinking. In light of those verses, perhaps we're all a bit like that. Whatever we're thinking is obvious to everyone around us. What we've been consuming is there for all to see.

While thinking about this, I got another, not quite so pleasant, mental picture in my head. Prepare yourself. There's been a stomach virus going around lately and if you happen to be unlucky enough to be near when someone "up-chucks", you can pretty much tell what they've been consuming for the past few hours. It's right there for all to see. I wonder if our words are a little like that. Whatever we've been thinking on, consuming through our eyes and ears, and spending our time on - it's gonna come out! It will be a bit more fermented because we've usually been stewing over it, but it will be obvious all the same.

I don't really have a catchy end for this blog - just a question for myself. "What you talkin' about Willis?" Are my words filled with faith, praise, hope or are they filled with angry critical words, negative thoughts, fear, and doubt. The answer will reveal where my heart truly is.

No comments: