Saturday, January 8, 2011

One more word...or two.

I've been seeing a lot of posts on facebook from people who have embraced the idea of one word to focus on for the year. This will be my second year to do this, (not an original idea...I heard about it on the radio - you can also find a link at the end of this blog), and I've even written about it in previous blogs. The other day, however, I heard a suggestion that I liked - finding one word to focus on for my children as well.

Since I have two precious children, I immediately started asking God what word could I focus on for them. Well, to be honest,I was actually a bit hesitant. After my experience with the word "Hope" last year, I knew that the words would mean MUCH more than I originally realized. Still, I asked.

For my daughter, the word that came to mind is "Grace". Now, that is her middle name, but I'm pretty sure that isn't why it is her word. The dictionary defines grace, among other things, as:
1. elegance or beauty of form, manner, motion, or action.
2. a pleasing or attractive quality or endowment.
3. favor or good will.
4. a manifestation of favor, esp. by a superior: It was only through the dean's grace that I wasn't expelled from school.
5. mercy; clemency; pardon: an act of grace.
9. moral strength: the grace to perform a duty.
Now to be honest, I like some of those better than others! I like the theological meaning of the word best: a. the freely given, unmerited favor and love of God. b. the influence or spirit of God operating in humans to regenerate or strengthen them. c. a virtue or excellence of divine origin: the Christian graces. d. Also called state of grace. the condition of being in God's favor or one of the elect.

There are a number of scriptures that go along with the word 'grace'. Here are just a few: 2 Peter 1:2; Psalm 84:11; James 4:6; John 1:17; 1 Corinthians 1:3; 2 Timothy 2:1; 2 Peter 3:18...the list really does go on and on.

For my son, the word for this year is 'Strength.' I'm sure he would like that since he's really into lifting weights and seeing his muscles "grow". (And as I listen to him singing in the other room and think about the fact that he NEVER seems to stop talking, perhaps the word strength is meant to help ME! LOL)
According to the dictionary, strength means, among other things:
1. the quality or state of being strong; bodily or muscular power; vigor.
2. mental power, force, or vigor.
3. moral power, firmness, or courage.
4. power by reason of influence, authority, resources, numbers, etc.
6. effective force, potency, or cogency, as of inducements or arguments: the strength of his plea.
7. power of resisting force, strain, wear, etc.
8. vigor of action, language, feeling, etc.
11. something or someone that gives one strength or is a source of power or encouragement; sustenance: The Bible was her strength and joy.

I knew the first definition, but to be honest had not thought of some of the others that really do apply to my hopes for my son. I want him to not only be strong physically, but mentally, morally, spiritually as well! A few of the strength scriptures include: Nehemiah 8:10 (the joy of the Lord is your strength.); Psalm 27:1; Psalm 31:24; Isaiah 41:10; Ephesians 3:14 - 19; Ephesians 6:10; Phillippians 4:13....again, I have a number of verses I can pray for him this year.

Now that I have "words" for my children, it's time to see what one word God would have me focus on when praying for my husband! I think I have an idea, but that's for another blog.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what God will do this year with our "words".... I'm hoping a lot of people will spend some time this month seeking for the one word God would have them hold on to this year. Through it all, we can pray: "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

It's 2011...what will your word be?

For an excellent article on how to choose your one word, check out this link to FCA: http://fcaresources.com/devotional/2010/12/28/just-one-word-part-1

No comments: