Sunday, October 2, 2011

Scared no more...


Have you ever noticed what a child does when they get scared? They immediately turn their face away from what frightens them and they turn toward their parent. If they are close enough, they bury that sweet little face in their parents skirt or pants leg; or if they are lucky enough to be in the loving arms of their mom or dad, they bury their face in their parent's shoulder.

The other night at a football game, I watched a small child with her mom. They were sitting right in front of us and even though the game was a good one, at times watching that little girl was far more entertaining than even what was happening on the field. That little girl first looked at EVERYONE around her, sizing them up as to whether or not she liked them sitting so close to her. Some she decidedly did not like!

After a while, however, she started to relax. She smiled, charmed, talked, and even played peek-a-boo with those around her. She wasn't afraid of anything! Why would she be? She was safe in her mother's arms. As the night wore on, it was obvious that she was growing so tired. She simply placed her little head on her mom's shoulder and closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.

By the time the game was over, I saw a LOT of little ones, sound asleep and being carried safely toward home in their parent's arms.

It really doesn't take much to see where this random thought is going. Right now we live in a society that is full of noise, distraction, and sometimes things that could make us very much afraid....but we don't have to be. We can rest in our loving Father's arms, free from the worry.

Those sweet children weren't worrying about where they would find clothes, how they would get food, how they would pay the bills, what tomorrow would hold. They didn't have to - their parent had that all under control.

I think I want to learn to live more like those little children - able to rest completely no matter what is going on around me. I'll let my Father worry about all that other stuff. Last time I checked, He was much better equipped to handle all that than I was. If I should find myself in a situation that frightens me and I realize I've wandered away from Him, I plan on running as fast as my little legs will carry me so I can "hide" in His robes.

Whatever situation you may find yourself in, and I realize some of them can be pretty scary, know that you can find a place of peace and rest in your Father's arms today. There is no need to be afraid - He's got you.

May you find peace and rest in our Father's loving arms today. Turn away from what scares you and look instead into His precious and wonderful face.

John 14:27 (NIV)

27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Matthew 18 (MSG)

For an answer Jesus called over a child, whom he stood in the middle of the room, and said, "I'm telling you, once and for all, that unless you return to square one and start over like children, you're not even going to get a look at the kingdom, let alone get in. Whoever becomes simple and elemental again, like this child, will rank high in God's kingdom. What's more, when you receive the childlike on my account, it's the same as receiving me.

Matthew 23:37 (NIV)


“Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing.

Isaiah 66:13 (NIV)


As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you;



Proverbs 29:25 (NIV)


Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe.

No comments: