Sunday, November 18, 2012

Bruised from the fight...

Today as I woke up, my body ached. My neck is stiff and my core feels as if I have been in a fight. No, it's not the flu, although that is running rampant around here lately. I know why I am so sore today....yesterday I participated in a Krav Maga self-defense intro class, and today I am feeling it.

This is not the first time I've taken part in a Krav class - been doing this at least twice a year for about the last 5 years (I am evidently a perpetual beginner.) Today, however, I realized that my "pain" isn't from doing all the hits and kicks - the pain I feel today is a result of being the pad holder.

For those who have never taken a class like this, one part of the training involves holding the "tombstone" for your fellow Krav novice and allowing them to work on their moves. Yesterday I had a partner who was quite a bit taller than myself, which of course meant she outweighed me a bit as well. Let's just say, she had a pretty powerful punch. Since I had taken this class numerous times, I also could help her with a few tips every now and then....which meant her hits got harder and far more powerful! The results - today I feel like I have been hit by a pick up truck!

Of course, all this got me to thinking. Krav always does it seems.

Being ready for a fight has been on my mind a lot lately. Of course, I don't mean a fight with my fellow travelers here on earth...I mean that fight we have with our true enemy - the one who would destroy our souls if given half a chance. Like the Pevensie children in Narnia, it is time to prepare for battle. While Aslan will strike the deciding blow, we are all a part of the coming battle.

Back to the pad holding and Krav. I will admit that holding the pad is not one of my favorite parts of these classes. I love to hit, kick, and yes Sam (our instructor), I love to yell! Holding the pad, well - that's just a necessary part of the participation. But today, I'm realizing it is more than just helping someone else learn....it prepares me to take hits and keep standing.

We are foolish to think if we are in battle that we will come out unscathed. We will take some hits...and I am realizing that those hits will be hard - very hard! It's called a fight, not a tea party after all. A phrase came to mind yesterday during our training - "do not fear the pain." In a fight - there will be pain.

I sat down to write this blog thinking my "random thought" would be about holding the pad so that others could learn....sort of a discipleship sort of theme...but as I began typing this blog took a turn. As Christians, we often think we aren't supposed to feel pain, have difficulties, or even take hard hits. We think we are dressing for battle and will swing our sword and never really have to fight. There may be times when, like Elisha and his assistant we will find that God will send angels to fight the battle for us. At other times, we may find that the battle is more like what Nehemiah and his men fought - with a sword in one hand and a trowel in the other, and more often than not, we may find ourselves in an all out war - like David. 

Today I have a new appreciation for Sam and Dwayne and my new fighting partner, Beth. You are not only preparing me to fight - you are preparing me to take a hit and get back up. I'd hug you if I could raise my arms that high.


1 Timothy 6:12

New International Version (NIV)
12 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

No comments: