Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A bit unrefined....

I admit it. I am not known for being "refined." 

I really have no idea what which fork to use at dinner...possibly because at my house we're doing good to find enough forks for each person to have one, much less two. 

I am clueless when it comes to etiquette, fashion, or any of the things that seem to go with fitting in.

I tend to laugh too loud, talk to fast, and speak my mind.

Fun for me might include funny old movies at home, a mud run, or a day of extreme exercise or fighting. 

Fashion includes hand-me-downs, garage sale finds, and clearance rack deals...oh, and my favorite tennis shoes if at all possible.

Unrefined....I doubt I'll ever be invited to meet with presidents or dine with royalty.

Seriously, I'm okay with that.

I'll never be the hard to pronoun herbs or exotic spices you hear about in fancy cooking. Nope, I'm sort of like salt...a little rough around the edges, and probably too ordinary to even notice.

What started all these random thoughts? Well, this morning I heard something on the radio that really caught my attention. They were talking about foods you shouldn't really eat and they said table salt was on the list. Simply put, it was too refined. All the nutrients have been processed out of it. They recommended sea salt instead.

Sea salt hasn't been so processed by the world that it has lost its nutrition. It not only adds flavor, it adds substance as well.

I guess being a little rough around the edges can be a good thing. 
Real, like Peter in the Bible. 
Unprocessed, like those Christians who dare to believe that what the Bible says is true.
Unpolished, not quite "fitting" in the world. 
That whole, "IN this world, but not OF this world" thing.

You know, I think I want to be more like sea salt - simply not refined. 

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Matthew 5: 13 (The Message)
“Let me tell you why you are here. You’re here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You’ve lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.

Romans 12:2 (The Message)

So here’s what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don’t become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You’ll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.

No comments: