Wednesday, August 28, 2013

I've got skills...


It all started this morning when I looked into my shower and saw my shampoo bottle on the floor....right in the same spot it was in yesterday afternoon. I didn't pick it up then, thinking the next person to take a shower would pick it up. Three showers later, it was still there on the floor. I was tempted to get really frustrated. I mean, how hard is it to pick up the bottle of shampoo? That's when I got to thinking about all the other things that only I seem to have the skill set to tackle.

I seem to be the only one in the family who knows how to pick up things that find their way to the floor. I am highly qualified to change out the toilet paper roll when there is only a brown paper tube spinning on the holder. I can actually fold towels and replace them so that the next person does not have to run down the hall leaving duck prints for someone else to slip on. I've got skills that no one else in my family seems to share!


Of course, in all this I was tempted to complain. Why can't they see that shampoo bottle and pick it up? Is it really that hard? I mean, come on! Do I always have to be the one to take care of things? 


It's so easy to find fault and forget what others do....

That's when I felt the Lord's loving reminder.....When I get my eyes on what "I" do, I tend to forget all the things my family takes care of around here. Loading and unloading the dishwasher, mowing the yard, taking out the trash AND replacing the trashcan liner, washing clothes, cleaning the bathroom....even occasionally cleaning their own rooms. Yeah, I have skills - but I'm not the only one.


I was reminded of the story of Mary and Martha. Seems like Martha had a pretty impressive skill set herself. She was busy taking care of things and focusing on what SHE was doing and what Mary was NOT. We all know how that story goes.


I was also reminded of a verse:

Philippians 2:3-4 (NIV)

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

The Message version puts it this way:

1-4 If you’ve gotten anything at all out of following Christ, if his love has made any difference in your life, if being in a community of the Spirit means anything to you, if you have a heart, if you care— then do me a favor: Agree with each other, love each other, be deep-spirited friends. Don’t push your way to the front; don’t sweet-talk your way to the top. Put yourself aside, and help others get ahead. Don’t be obsessed with getting your own advantage. Forget yourselves long enough to lend a helping hand.

Seems that my "Mad skills" are really best when they are used to serve like Christ. He could walk on water, heal the blind, raise the dead and yet He willingly washed the feet of those pesky disciples. Pretty sure he didn't gripe and complain about what they weren't doing.

Seems that one of my "skills" that is lacking is in the area of service WITHOUT grumbles or complaints. Looks like I've got some work to do....cause I do want to have skills!

No comments: