Monday, September 2, 2013

Misplaced faith

Faith. Do I have it?

Today I've been chewing a particular Bible verse; you probably know the one. It says, “If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey you." One version says,  “You don’t need more faith. There is no ‘more’ or ‘less’ in faith. If you have a bare kernel of faith, say the size of a poppy seed, you could say to this sycamore tree, ‘Go jump in the lake,’ and it would do it." Now I'm not too up on agriculture or gardening, but I know that a poppy seed is TINY! 

Another verse, Romans 12:3 mentions faith as well. 
"For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you." (Emphasis mine)

Now it's these two passages that has been troubling me all day. If all I need is a poppy seed sized faith and God has given it to me, why am I not seeing more miracles? Why am I still struggling in so many areas of life? Where is my faith?

That's when it hit me. I must have misplaced it! It doesn't surprise me. I misplace my keys all the time. I spent 30 minutes tonight looking for a check that came in the mail. I constantly misplace my glasses...they are usually on top of my head. I have even misplaced my son. Well, technically I thought he was with his dad and his dad thought he was with me. (Thank heavens for his Sunday School teacher kept up with him till we returned.) Misplacing things is easy for me....keeping up with them is what gives me trouble. I'm just so easily distracted!

When I finally find what I'm looking for, it is usually under a pile of "stuff." It may be junk mail or school papers or even dirty laundry. It can even be good stuff - but if it's covering up what I'm needing, it's still just STUFF! My life is full of STUFF!

Seems like I go back to the Bible story I referred to in my last blog, Mary and Martha. Jesus looked at Martha (who was probably looking for something under the stuff or at least taking care of the stuff) and Jesus reminded her that only one thing is needed...and it wasn't stuff. 

So I've decided that since God said He gave me faith (probably a little bitty thing since I couldn't handle anything really big....think Will Smith getting the noisy cricket in Men in Black) and since that is more than enough, I must have misplaced it somewhere. I must have misplaced my faith.

I think I'll spend the rest of this week looking for it. If you happen to see it, could you please give me a call? (Maybe the next blog will include more on this topic...unless of course I misplace it.)

No comments: