Sunday, November 8, 2015

I will carry a sword....

The other day I sat down to do some serious channel hopping and came across a favorite movie, The Book of Eli. That movie is so thought provoking and I love finding it on regular tv (they clean up the language and I can focus more on the plot.) I'd use a picture from the movie, but I'm afraid it might infringe on some copyright law. Be sure, however, to read all the way to the bottom of this blog for some really cool quotes from the movie. 

Days after the movie was over, I was still thinking about what I had seen, and it hit me. Eli carried a sword. A sword....and a Bible.

In the movie, Eli traveled for 30 years carrying that Bible and a sword...heading he did not know where. And as he traveled, he read that Bible...committed it to memory...sharpened it as it were. I have to wonder if the reason it took so long was so that he could commit it all to memory and make it sharp.

Along with the Bible, Eli also carried a sword, and he knew how to use it when necessary. He never pulled it out unless he needed to protect himself or someone else. Then, whatever enemy that dared to try to stop him would be met with the sharp edge and let's just say they realized they were pretty much powerless against Eli as long as he carried that sword.
It seemed as if the enemy could not touch Eli. Some tried, but their threats and weapons could not touch him as long as he carried that Bible.

All this has been mulling around in my mind and today as I drove to work, it was on my mind once again. It is time to sharpen my sword. Of course I don't mean I plan to go to the nearest pawn shop and purchase some ancient ninja weapon. (I'd look silly dressed up like a ninja.) Still, everywhere I turn, I seem to see devotions that nudge me to get serious about reading the Bible and learning His word....committing it to memory....sharpening it and learning how to use it to protect....

I recently had a conversation with an old friend. We were talking about kids who sometimes make wrong choices and I asked - "Have you done battle for them?" 
"I pray for them," was the response.
"I didn't say pray - I asked do you do battle?" It was then that I felt that warrior spirit inside me start to rise up. So THAT'S what the sword is for!

We are in a battle - every mom, every dad, ever sister or brother or aunt or uncle, young and old, big and small. We battle not against flesh and blood, but against powers and principalities and spiritual wickedness in high places....this battle isn't with people. It's against the one who would destroy those people.

I don't know what mountain is standing before you...what battle you are facing. But you have a sword. The question is, will your sword be sharp when you need it? Will that warrior spirit rise up in you? Will you face the battle secure in the knowledge that you carry a sword?

Hebrews 4:12 -13 The Message (MSG)
12-13 God means what he says. What he says goes. His powerful Word is sharp as a surgeon’s scalpel, cutting through everything, whether doubt or defense, laying us open to listen and obey. Nothing and no one is impervious to God’s Word. We can’t get away from it—no matter what.

Ephesians 6: 10 - 18 (Message)
10-12 And that about wraps it up. God is strong, and he wants you strong. So take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so you will be able to stand up to everything the Devil throws your way. This is no afternoon athletic contest that we’ll walk away from and forget about in a couple of hours. This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels.
13-18 Be prepared. You’re up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it’s all over but the shouting you’ll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You’ll need them throughout your life. God’s Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other’s spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.



Joshua 1:8 (Message)

1-9 After the death of Moses the servant of GodGod spoke to Joshua, Moses’ assistant:
“Moses my servant is dead. Get going. Cross this Jordan River, you and all the people. Cross to the country I’m giving to the People of Israel. I’m giving you every square inch of the land you set your foot on—just as I promised Moses. From the wilderness and this Lebanon east to the Great River, the Euphrates River—all the Hittite country—and then west to the Great Sea. It’s all yours. All your life, no one will be able to hold out against you. In the same way I was with Moses, I’ll be with you. I won’t give up on you; I won’t leave you. Strength! Courage! You are going to lead this people to inherit the land that I promised to give their ancestors. Give it everything you have, heart and soul. Make sure you carry out The Revelation that Moses commanded you, every bit of it. Don’t get off track, either left or right, so as to make sure you get to where you’re going. And don’t for a minute let this Book of The Revelation be out of mind. Ponder and meditate on it day and night, making sure you practice everything written in it. Then you’ll get where you’re going; then you’ll succeed. Haven’t I commanded you? Strength! Courage! Don’t be timid; don’t get discouraged. God, your God, is with you every step you take.”

Oh, one more thing. I really liked these quotes from the movie, so I decided to share them. We'll let them speak for themselves.

Eli: People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.

Eli: In all these years I've been carrying it and reading it every day, I got so caught up in keeping it safe that I forgot to live by what I learned from it.

Solara: Do you really read the same book everyday? 
Eli: Without fail. 

May we never forget what is truly precious...and may we remember to live by what we 
learn from God's Word. 

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Reading this makes me want to find and watch this.