Tuesday, November 24, 2015

When I grow up, I want to be...interesting.

I used to dream of being smart and interesting, then I started fantasizing of being somewhat funny and fun. Now I'm just shooting for not being boring and ignored.

Yes, I'm having one of those random thoughts kind of days.

Ever wonder what makes a person "interesting"? I decided to ask my Facebook friends what they think made a person interesting. Some were kind and told me I am interesting. (That's the thing about Facebook - pretty much everyone looks more interesting online.) 

Others had interesting thoughts on interesting. "Interesting is living with gusto, speaking with excitement and thankfulness."
"People who are different from others (in a positive way) or courageous, making an impact on others." 
"Someone who accomplishes something...a lot of somethings." 
"It's in their stories...stories others can learn from, delight in, take hope from, delight in, and gain inspiration from. Interesting people have "stories" - lots of stories."
Then there was that one friend who replied "Fruitcake." (Yes, I do have some pretty interesting friends!)

I guess that's another way of saying interesting people have lived, not simply existed. One of my favorite responses to my question was that "those who think they are not interesting usually are the ones who actually are."

I wonder what God would say to the question of what makes someone interesting. Would it be the same as what we think? And whom do I want to be "interesting" to? 

This is one of those shorter blogs where I'm really still thinking, mulling over the possibilities. What makes someone interesting? What do you think? Share your thoughts and let's see if together we can become more "interesting" people.

When I searched for a verse to include with this, interestingly enough this was the verse of the day...and I think it fits pretty well.


Colossians 2:6-7The Message (MSG)

From the Shadows to the Substance

6-7 My counsel for you is simple and straightforward: Just go ahead with what you’ve been given. You received Christ Jesus, the Master; now live him. You’re deeply rooted in him. You’re well constructed upon him. You know your way around the faith. Now do what you’ve been taught. School’s out; quit studying the subject and start living it! And let your living spill over into thanksgiving.
Yep - that should make a person more "interesting" for sure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess, whether we realize it or not, each of us are 'interesting' in our own way. We might be a good kind of interesting or a bad kind of interesting and which we are could be different to different people, depending on personalities. I don't even really know how to express the thoughts that are tumbling around inside my head, but I think you asked an even better, more thought-provoking question toward the end, when you asked what would God say makes someone interesting and who do I want to find me interesting? Hmmmmmm......gotta think on this a lot more! Great questions, Donna - great questions!