Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Do I trust my GPS more than God...

Today was a quick spring break trip for my daughter and me. Like many of our trips, it would include a trip by the outlet mall (a place we've visited many times before), but first we planned to check out a future field trip location that was "on our way". Not long after we left the house, I handed my daughter my phone and asked her to program in our location while I drove.

The first part of our journey was along very familiar territory, no problem. Then, about 45 minutes on the road, my trusty phone started to talk to me. "Turn right in 600 feet." Well, I hadn't seen a turn coming but okay. I turned right.

We drove on for a few more miles and my phone started talking again. "Turn in one mile." Okay. No problem. I'm just driving, driving, driving...and looking at the sights along the way. A few more miles and it was time to turn again. It didn't look like the way I thought I should go, but I really didn't have much choice but to follow directions. I had no clue where we were headed, but as long as I follow the instructions from my GPS, I could just enjoy the drive. I could notice the scenery and when the time came to turn, I knew what to do, which way to go. All I had to do is drive and listen...wow, that makes things a LOT easier.

At one point, traffic was really heavy and I actually missed a turn. My GPS patiently (okay, well, it didn't yell) told me to make a u-turn at the next road left. Done. Now I was headed down what seemed to be a dead-end road. Still, GPS said I was headed the right way...sure enough I soon saw a sign pointing to our destination just ahead. Within minutes we arrived safe and sound. Thanks GPS!

That's when the random thought came, "Do I put more trust in my GPS than I do with God?"

Think about it. If I trust God as much as I say I do, then why don't I simply "drive" and trust that when directions are needed, they will come? It removes a lot of the pressure of trying to figure out how God was going to get me where I need to be. How much easier it would be to follow God if I just relaxed about the "how" to get there and simply enjoyed the "scenery" along the way? How much easier knowing that if I do make a wrong turn, God will tell me where to turn around?

No more trying to figure out how God will do things. No more trying to "help" make it happen. No more worrying if I'm actually on the correct road (okay, that one may be harder to do...) None of those would have helped my GPS today, in fact it might have actually made my GPS want to yell at me! Overall, it's going to be a LOT easier on me if I just trust and drive. 

I know my GPS may fail me, but God will NEVER let me down. That is something I can definitely put my trust in.

Isaiah 30:21(NIV)

21 Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.”
Proverbs 3:5-6 (MSG)
Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
    don’t try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
    he’s the one who will keep you on track.

No comments: