Sunday, June 14, 2009

But I paid my money.....


You know, I'm the only person I know who joined the weight loss group at work and somehow managed to GAIN 3 pounds. I'm serious! Every one else in the group was dropping weight like it was a hot potato, except me. I actually put on weight! When I jokingly complained to a friend about it, she asked, "Did you follow the plan?" Well, no...but I paid my money! Isn't that enough?

Right about now you are either shaking your head in disbelief or laughing because you have done the same thing. Anyone who has ever joined a health club only to then never darken the door again knows what I'm talking about here. I have to wonder just how many treadmills and stair climbers are currently being used as coat racks in America today. We won't even go into the number of exercise videos that are gathering dust on a shelf somewhere. I know I'm not alone in this....it's all about the difference in want to and commitment. You see, I want to lose weight, but until I'm committed to it, nothing is going to happen. I can join the groups, pay the fees, even watch the videos, but until I commit to doing something, I'm just spinning my wheels.

What is that something inside us that moves the mere "want to" into committed reality?

I found a number of quotes about commitment:

“There's a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstance permit. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results.”

“It was character that got us out of bed, commitment that moved us into action, and discipline that enabled us to follow through.”

“We promise according to our hopes and perform according to our fears.”

As for me, I think maybe I decide something sounds like a good idea and see others doing it and get all excited, but I don't take the time to count the cost. I'm not always willing to do whatever is necessary to see the dreams fulfilled. Dare I say it? I'm lazy. The truth is, most dreams come with a lot of hard work and risk before we can see them become reality. We have to get off our duffs, risk failing and perhaps even look foolish.
There are some areas of my life where I know I am committed....but even in those areas I can see where my commitment can easily lapse into mere wanting if I'm not careful. I'd like to be like the author of Philippians 4:12 - 16 (Message translation): "I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back. So let's keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision—you'll see it yet! Now that we're on the right track, let's stay on it."

In every area of our lives, it takes focus, consistency, belief that we can do it, and of course some good old fashioned work. And as for the weight loss, I'll keep working on taking that from the "want to" to the "committed" level, because it's become quite obvious....just wanting to is not enough.

No comments: