Saturday, June 6, 2009

Octogenarians and speedos


While relaxing on the balcony during vacation, I happened to glance down at the pool below...and that's when I saw him....the octogenarian and the speedo.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for senior citizens leading an active lifestyle...especially since I am getting closer and closer to that status myself, but some things are just don't seem right. A really old man, or old woman in a teeny tiny bathing suit is one of those things. I don't care that a bunch of movie stars are now flaunting the fact that they are getting older and still look good in a swimsuit. Most of us don't look like them. Shoot, even they don't always look like them without a team of trainers, dietitians and air brush artists!

But back to my senior citizen in a speedo. While I commend this gentleman on keeping himself in shape, I'm not sure the rest of the world was ready for this sight. If he'd been swimming, I'd have figured this was just his work out gear...I can understand that. But he wasn't working out...he was reading...in the pool....he wasn't even tanning! So I don't get it. Why put yourself on display like that? Guess that's a question for any age. Why are we putting ourselves on display like this...and for whom?

I agree the human body is a marvelous work of art, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it should be displayed for all the world to see! To be honest, that doesn't just go for senior citizens...it applies to young people too! As a teacher, I have to spend a good part of my day asking students to either pull up their pants or adjust their tops so that they aren't displaying themselves to the general public! Some "works of art" can only truly be appreciated by those who love them. If displayed to the general public, they can become common. Even great works of art aren't hung out on street corners for all the world to see...they are protected, even treasured. If seen everywhere, these works of art become just another advertisement.

I hope my old guy in the speedo enjoyed his day....but I have to admit it didn't help me start mine the way I had hoped.

No comments: