Saturday, July 4, 2009

Cure for the blues


Have you ever had one of those days? You wake up, the sun is shining, the birds are singing, and as you look out at this beautiful scene and all you can think is "Shut up you stupid bird!" Yep, you're having a bad day. There is no real reason for it. There's nothing wrong...it's just that something isn't quite right. Some people call it the blues, some attribute it to hormones, me....I just realize this is not my day.

I have learned over the years some things NOT to do on this day. Don't expect a good hair day...there is no way my hair is going to cooperate with me so just realize this and grab a baseball cap. Do not get a haircut on these days....it will not make me feel better, it will only make me feel older, less attractive, etc. Do not make any major decisions on these days - I'm a grump and none of my options look good....not even the great ones. Do not spend too much time watching the news....it will not be filled with encouraging news bites. Do not shop for groceries...contrary to my feelings on this day, chocolate is not a vegetable, ice cream isn't the best choice in dairy, and potato chips, although they are thin, will make me look more like the potato they came from...lumpy and round.

I've learned I need to be careful who I am around on these days. Moods are contagious and I don't really want to "infect" anyone with my grumbling and complaining. If I have friends whose "spiritual immune system" is strong, they can help me turn the day around. If I get around those who are weak, I may inadvertently cause them more problems...and that's not what I want to do.

I've also learned not to trust my feelings on days like this. They lie. They will tell me my friends do not love me, my spouse is less than the best, my children are ungrateful little brats and I am a perfect failure at life. (Come on, no one can be a PERFECT at anything.) This is definitely NOT a day to listen to my feelings.

Instead, I've learned to listen to and speak what I DO know is true and never failing...God's word.

Psalms 42 (Message translation) : "Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul? Why are you crying the blues? Fix my eyes on God—soon I'll be praising again. He puts a smile on my face. He's my God. When my soul is in the dumps, I rehearse everything I know of you, From Jordan depths to Hermon heights, including Mount Mizar. Chaos calls to chaos, to the tune of whitewater rapids. Your breaking surf, your thundering breakers crash and crush me. Then God promises to love me all day, sing songs all through the night! My life is God's prayer. Sometimes I ask God, my rock-solid God, "Why did you let me down? Why am I walking around in tears, harassed by enemies?" They're out for the kill, these tormentors with their obscenities, Taunting day after day, "Where is this God of yours?" Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul? Why are you crying the blues? Fix my eyes on God—soon I'll be praising again. He puts a smile on my face. He's my God."

Yep, there is definitely a cure for the blues....keep rehearsing what you know is true. Say it out loud. Say what God says about you and the day, not what your lying, cheating feelings might tell you. Sing it if you have to! Make the decision, "This is the day the Lord has made...I WILL rejoice and be glad in it." Come what may...let's make this a better day!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Sounds like me during the change. Ugly, pooey, yuck!