Friday, July 3, 2009

The problem with those magic beans...


Okay, I've about had it. I'm tired of battling this weight issue. I want to live in a fantasy world where I can eat chocolate and ice cream and chips and still be thin and athletic and beautiful. I'm ready for some magic pill that will allow me to make foolish choices and yet still come out smelling like a rose....I'm ready for something like Jack and the Beanstalk where I can just toss some magic beans out the window and suddenly all my problems would be solved. What I forget is that with the magic beans, came a giant....and that's my real problem. I want the treasure but I don't want to face the giant.



This problem isn't new...stories of giants have been around for centuries, and they almost always stand between you and a promise. I read where the original word for giant in Hebrew meant "fearful ones" or "ones who bring discouragement". Every time I step on the scale or try to fit into my jeans, I face one big ugly giant.



So how does one battle a "giant"? If this were a fairy tale, I would grab up the goose that laid the golden chocolate and steal the magic harp that made me young again. The giant would be easily fooled and I would escape into the clouds, chop down the giant's access into my world and live happily ever after. That sounds good, but life isn't a fairy tale. This isn't some battle I will win simply because I am the hero.



True heroes of old didn't run from their giants, they faced them. David recognized Goliath for what he was...a liar who dared to challenge the truth of God. Joshua took courage and faced the discouragement and opposition to God's plan by holding fast to the promises of God. Both men (one young, and one old) faced their giants and prepared to do battle.



In Ephesians 6 (Message translation), you can find the weapons for battling the giants: (13-18) Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.



Yes, there is a problem with the magic beans....they don't exist and even if they did, they would not prepare me for the giants that really stand between me and my "treasure." Sometimes you just have to turn and face the giants of discouragement and doubt and refuse to back down.

No comments: