Sunday, September 23, 2012

In way over my head...

Ever hear that analogy? "In over my head..." Well lately that's exactly how I've been feeling. I'm in WAY over my head. 

Now lot's of people may think they know what that feels like, but if you are a "non-swimmer" like me, in over your head takes on a WHOLE new meaning. Think drowning. Fighting for your life. Desperately wanting OUT, OUT, OUT!

I was thinking about all this today. Overwhelmed. Sinking fast. Trying to believe the encouragement that if God called me to it then God would see me through it, but let's be honest. It's tough when you're swallowing water with every single breath.

I was reminding God that I was in over my head and that I really couldn't swim when a familiar Bible story came to mind. It was the story of when Jesus called Peter to step out of the boat and walk to him. What struck me was that, even though I'm sure Peter knew how to swim, he didn't have to. He just had to keep his eyes on Jesus and walk.

Did you get that? Let it "sink" in. Just keep his eyes on Jesus and walk. One step at a time. Focused not on how scary those waves were, but on the eyes of His Lord. 

Simple. No need to swim at all. Just walk on water. But hey, if He said do it, He's sure to keep me from sinking. (And to be honest, walking on water is a LOT less scary to me than trying to swim!)

No need to be overwhelmed, in over my head, or any other analogy that means I can't possibly do this. Of course I can't - but He can. I'm guessing that somehow He's even made a plan for me to find joy in the journey. 

Today, I was reminded of another story...Joshua crossing the Jordan river. He had to step out in faith and God parted the waters so that they could walk across on dry land. That's even better! That way I don't have to deal with water at ALL! 

I've just got to keep walking....and all who see it will know it was nothing I have done, but it was because of the Son of God for sure!


Matthew 14:22-33

The Message (MSG)

Walking on the Water

22-23 As soon as the meal was finished, he insisted that the disciples get in the boat and go on ahead to the other side while he dismissed the people. With the crowd dispersed, he climbed the mountain so he could be by himself and pray. He stayed there alone, late into the night.
24-26 Meanwhile, the boat was far out to sea when the wind came up against them and they were battered by the waves. At about four o’clock in the morning, Jesus came toward them walking on the water. They were scared out of their wits. “A ghost!” they said, crying out in terror.
27 But Jesus was quick to comfort them. “Courage, it’s me. Don’t be afraid.”
28 Peter, suddenly bold, said, “Master, if it’s really you, call me to come to you on the water.”
29-30 He said, “Come ahead.”
Jumping out of the boat, Peter walked on the water to Jesus. But when he looked down at the waves churning beneath his feet, he lost his nerve and started to sink. He cried, “Master, save me!”
31 Jesus didn’t hesitate. He reached down and grabbed his hand. Then he said, “Faint-heart, what got into you?”
32-33 The two of them climbed into the boat, and the wind died down. The disciples in the boat, having watched the whole thing, worshiped Jesus, saying, “This is it! You are God’s Son for sure!”

No comments: