Saturday, September 29, 2012

Twirl (2012 version)


Today I saw a picture of a project for making a "Twirl" dress for little girls and it reminded me of the very first blog I ever wrote. I'm adding a little bit to it, but here is a blast from the past that I was reminded of today. (New "parts" are in purple.)

Okay, this is my first attempt at a blog, but there are things I want to share - so here goes.

Recently I was doing a Bible study and was looking at how God took our sin. Now, I know you've probably already heard that, but hold on. I saw something new this time. In this study, we saw that God is clothed in majesty - that I think I knew. Yet He chose to trade with us and put on our sin and give us His majesty. Let me try and paint a picture of what I saw.

Earlier that day, I had stepped in some dog poop in our yard (we've all done it). Everywhere I went, that smell seemed to drift upward and spoil my day. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from and then realized there was still a smidgeon of it on my shoe. Somewhere in all this, I got a picture of my sin being like clothes that had been rolled in poop. The stench of sin permeated everything I tried to do....but God in His mercy took on my sin, smell and all, and instead gave me His majesty. But it gets even better.

I remembered when my daughter was very young and we'd buy her "twirl" dresses. These were the dresses that would twirl when she would spin around. I got such joy out of watching her spin around and twirl with joy. That's where the rest of the picture comes in. God not only took our sin and gave us His majesty, but He doesn't constantly remind us of what He did (as many of us would do). Instead, with the joy of a father, he simply says "Twirl little one, twirl". He loves us so much that it is His joy to bless us. For if we who are evil know how to give good gifts to our children, how much more does our Heavenly Father know how to bless us.

In the Old Testament, when someone made covenant, they switched robes. God made Covenant with Abraham AND HIS CHILDREN. We are those children. We have been given a robe of righteousness, not because of something we have done, but because of what HE has done...because of HIS great love...because of the Covenant HE made and completed. It is important to realize that in that covenant, God caused Abraham to fall into a sleep and then God completed the Covenant Himself. It was not dependent upon Abraham, and it is no dependent upon me, a child of Abraham. It is not something I "do" - other than accept this gracious gift. God did this because of His great love for us. He took on our filthy rags and in turn gave us the robe of righteousness...much like the father ran toward the prodigal son and commanded that he be given a robe and a ring in place of his pig-scented rags. When we put on someone else's robe, we in essence take on that person's identity...the two become one. 

This covenant also involved and exchange of weapon belts, vows, names, a mark, and a meal....but those are topics for another day. 


So there is the first of what may be many random thoughts.

May your day be filled with moments when you hear our Father God say, "Twirl, little one. Twirl."

Isaiah 61:10 (New Living Translation)
I am overwhelmed with joy in the LORD my God! For he has dressed me with the clothing of salvation and draped me in a robe of righteousness. I am like a bridegroom in his wedding suit or a bride with her jewels.

Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The LORD, the LORD, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation."

2 comments:

David Rupert said...

That was a fun run backwards. I liked your style then... and now. You have great insight and an interesting spin on life and faith

Donna said...

Thanks David! That means more than you could possibly know!