Tuesday, May 26, 2009

like a song stuck in my head



For some odd reason, the song "Eye of the Tiger" has been stuck in my head all night long. I hate it when that happens. It's not that I have anything against that song, but no matter what I start doing, that song is playing like my own personal background music. No one else can hear it, but trust me, it's there. Sometimes I even find myself singing the song outloud, subjecting others to my lack of talent and possibly infecting them with the "song that never ends."


That got me to thinking....what other "background" music am I playing in my life? For the past couple of days, I've had something that is troubling me. Nothing major, but just like that annoying song, I find myself rehearsing it over and over no matter what else is going on. My thoughts may seem to be on whatever is at hand, but just like the songs that get stuck in your head, it's simply waiting for me to start over again on an endless chorus of worry. And just like with the musical version, sometimes I find myself "singing" the song, unaware that I'm actually rehearsing worries out loud...possibly causing others to now be infected by this nagging tune.


So, how does one get rid of those annoying songs? Sometimes time takes care of it. More often I find I have to consciously listen to something else and get another "song" to take its place. I may have to listen more than once to erase the unwanted chorus, but eventually it does go away...or at least is tuned out by more welcome thoughts. I'm thinking the same principal holds true for those things that worry you. Focusing on them will only make them grow stronger like an unwelcome theme song for your days. To make those worrisome thoughts fade away, you have to replace them with something else, something that is stronger. You need a new song.



I remember a time when I was facing a really difficult situation with someone and didn't know what to do. As I tucked my daughter into bed that night, a familiar song from one of her children's tapes came to mind. It was scripture set to music. The message was simple; "trust in the Lord with all you heart, lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways, acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3:5-6) Instead of the "worry song" I had been playing, I started singing this song and soon that annoying worry chorus was so faint I couldn't really hear it anymore. It's funny, I've remembered that night and that song many times over the years, and it never fails to bring a sense of peace.


I don't know what your "Eye of the Tiger" or annoying jingle may be today, but I'm thinking the Proverbs 3 song might make for a better soundtrack. Give it a try. If you can find a friend to sing along, even better! As for me, I think I'll use it to "sing" myself to sleep.

No comments: